Scotland is built for dawdling and it is bigger than you might think so don’t be too ambitious about how far you go in a day. For example Ullapool to Thurso is a good 6 hour drive.
The best places and best views are not seen from the main roads. You must try the smaller roads, it is well worth it.
Some less used routes (see map below) :
From Ullapool to Thurso instead of the coast road : go through
- Lairg directly to Tongue – wonderful mountain scenery
- Lairg to Bettyhill via Strathnaver – more mixed scenery of mountain / river valley
From Inverness to Thurso instead of the A9 all the way divert at
- Evanton – Dornoch Firth B9176 then either
- Bonar Bridge to Lairg routes north or
- Back to the A9 and divert to Dornoch (good seal viewing areas)
- Back to the A9 and divert Helmsdale – Melvich via Strath Halladale
Whichever route you take please take care. We want you to arrive safely.
Our tour guide (PDF 600kb) lists some places where you can stop for walks or refreshment as well as taking you past most significant tourist attractions. Please contact us if you would like any tourist information for the North of Scotland.